Thursday, March 18, 2010

Its been a week...

So its Thursday March 18th, I went to my first follow up visit today with the high risk doctor. They checked my blood pressure like normal, and lucky for me I have low blood pressure. They then proceeded to do an internal ultraound and check my cervix. I was very nervous about this being done because I was afraid it might hurt or I might have some cramping afterwards. Thankfully I had neither. The nurse couldn't tell us if what she was looking at was good or bad, so we just patiently waited for her to be done.

Next the nurse did a regular ultrasound on top of my belly to check the status of the baby. And of course baby Lily was as cute as a button. She was a bit curled up, but we could see a nice side profile of her. She is just so cute. She wasn't very active this morning but it might be because I had eaten before we arrived. I wasn't worried. She too needs her rest... The nurse took a few pictures of her profile and also a few pictures of the baby's body. Once done she told us the doctor would be in shortly to review everything.

The doctor came in and looked at the pictures of my cervix first and told us that in one week my cervix had doubled in length!!! We were so relieved. On the day of my surgery, my cervix was 0.9cm, today my cervix was 1.8cm. The news was exactly what we were hoping to hear. The doctor told us that he didn't think it would get any longer than that, but with that extra length, I have a better chance of keeping Lily in place for a longer period of time. Which is exactly why I was put on bed rest in the first place.

The doctor then looked at the pictures of the baby and said she looks wonderful. He then told us to continue with the strict bed rest and that he would want to see me back in his office in two weeks. We shook hands and he left.

When my husband and I left the room, I noticed my husband had become a bit emotional. I hugged my husband and he told me, he was just so relieved to hear the news. We hugged and packed me up in the car to head home.

I know its only been a week but hearing the news of what the doctor said, it made me feel even more determined to stay focused about being on bed rest. It won't be an easy job, but its going to be one that will have a huge reward at the end.

1 comment:

  1. You are so right - a huge reward! Every day Lily stays put is a blessing in so many ways. We want her to be ready when she finally gets to meet us all. Plus, selfishly, I do not want to see any baby that I love in a NICU again. That would be very hard for me, so for her, yours, and my sake, I hope she stays put for many, many weeks! ;-)

    ReplyDelete