Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Day I got my Cerclage Removed

Today I was admitted into the triage department of the hospital to have my cerclage (stitches) removed. We were scheduled to be there for 9:00am. My doctor was removing the stitches which was reassuring for me. We were nervous but I knew there was no turning back. I wasn't having any contractions as they were monitoring me and Lily. Lily's heartbeat was exactly where it should be. She's such a great baby already.

This time my husband got to be with me. I was happy about that. When I had to cerclage put in I had to be given a spinal and admitted to an operating room where he wasn't allowed to be with me. For the removal they did it in a private triage room. The procedure took about 10 minutes and it wasn't painful. The most uncomfortable part was the placement and use of the speculum. (Sorry if that caused some of you women a visual) I don't think its ever comfortable but when you're 9 months pregnant there seems to be more pressure down there.... Anyways, all went well.

My doctor even showed me "my miracle stitch", I know it sounds gross but I wanted to see it. I was just curious to see what helped hold my baby inside me. It looked like a really strong piece of string.

After the procedure they told me I would need to be only monitored for 20 minutes. Which was different then I had been told weeks earlier. I was planning on being there about four hours. They only wanted to monitor us for 20 minutes because my cervix was completely closed after the procedure and they just wanted to see if I was going to have any contractions. I didn't have any contractions I was just having some mild cramping and spotting. My doctor said that might last for the day but to just monitor it. If anything got worse I was to come back to the hospital.

All day I had cramps but nothing more. My husband took the day off from work to be with me which was reassuring. I was nervous that I might go into labor but by the next day all my cramping went away. Now we just play the waiting game.

My doctor did tell me that I'm officially off bed rest but I should still take it easy for a least another week. She would like to see me get to 37 weeks, which is considered full term. She did tell me that she would like me to try to move around a little more to get my strength and stamina back, which would help with the delivery process for when that happens. Just not to over do it just yet. So now we just wait and see what happens. So exciting that we made it this far together.

No comments:

Post a Comment