Tuesday, April 13, 2010

26th Week Doctor Appointments

Its been five weeks on bed rest. For the most part its been okay. It had a rocky start but with the support of my friends and family members it has been a positive experience. Today I have follow up appointments with both, my OB and my high risk doctor. My headaches have subsided, thank goodness. No real reason for getting them other then maybe stress from being in bed all day, or the added hormones and blood flow. Regardless, I am thankful they are gone.

My first appointment was with my OB. She's been my OB for four years now and she's wonderful. She said my pregnancy is going wonderful and that the baby is in the 53rd percentile, (I hear that's a good thing, but I didn't really understand that statement). My weight gain is exactly where it should be. That made me REALLY happy. One of my biggest fears with being on bed rest. was gaining too much weight. But thankfully I have been very mindful of what I eat and it is working in my favor. YEAH! She also added that they might want to start me on steroids, but that I would need to ask my high risk doctor what he thought. That had me a little concerned. The reason for the steroids was to help the baby develop her lungs quicker just in case I go into labor sooner then 36 weeks. I wasn't happy to hear about the steroids but I will do what is best for Lily regardless. After that we were done. So I slowly crawled into the back seat of the car and laid down for the ride to my next doctors appointment, with the high risk doctor.

At the high risk doctors appointment, they did an ultrasound to measure the length of my cervix. My cervix was measuring 3.0cm, that was the best news ever!!! Bed rest is working and we are so happy! We got to see a few pictures of Lily and she was just as cute as ever. She's slowly getting bigger and bigger each week we see her. Its so exciting each time. I did ask the high risk doctor about the steroids and he said, that since my cervix is doing so well he doesn't foresee why I would need to be put on steroids. He feels that I will be able to carry this baby to full term. Such a relief!

So at this time I will go to each doctor every two weeks. He did say that there might be a "slight" possibility that at 32 weeks he would allow me to have a more modified best rest, which could allow me to have an hour or two a day where I could run an errand or sit up. I'm not going to get my hopes up but that was surely nice to hear. I'm hoping to be able to have a baby shower before Lily arrives and I wasn't sure how I'd do that if I had to be laying down. The other big news was that both doctors felt that at 36 weeks I'd have my stitches removed and they figured I would deliver shortly after that. Which means I might have Lily earlier then July 23, which was her original due date.

After my doctors visits, I went home and relaxed as it was a big outing for me and a very happy one. As much as I would have liked to go home and celebrate I know I can't celebrate just yet. Lily and I still have about two months to go and I have to continue to be strict on myself to make sure we make it to 36 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment