Saturday, April 24, 2010

No more headaches, but now my hands and arms ache...

I am posting this a week behind, but only for good reason. From Saturday April 17 - Friday April 23, I've had pain in my hands and arms to the point I couldn't type or do much of anything with my hands.

I woke up Saturday morning with an ache in my left arm that slowly increased to being so painful that by Sunday I went to the hospital. I wasn't able to bare weight or even move my left arm much at all. It was terrible. I was very concerned that it might be a blood clot or something drastic. When we got to the hospital they didn't have much to say for the reason of the pain. They sent me for X-rays just in case but the X-rays came back with nothing. By the time we left the hospital (9 hours later) all they told me was that it was probably caused from the bed rest and that I might have a pinched nerve. They gave my hubby instructions on how to massage my shoulder and arm to help relieve the pain. They also gave me some muscle relaxers to take and a stronger pain killer.

The next few days were a blur. The sad part was the pain moved from my left arm to my right arm as well. So by Wednesday I had no ability to do anything by myself. I could not use my arms or hands. It was so sad and I was so dependent on others, which didn't make me very happy. Thankfully I had a wonderful friend come by a few days and help me. She even massaged my shoulders and arms for me and it was starting to help relieve the pain. I have such a hard time depending on others, but I had no choose, I couldn't do anything for myself. Both of my arms by this point, were in arm braces to help relieve the movement of my arms, which helped with the pain. I was a site to behold, for sure. :-)

By Friday the pain was only in my right arm. No real reason for how I got in this position or what the cause was, but I suspect its from being on such strict bed rest. I never thought things like this could happen from just laying in bed. But after almost two months on bed rest I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I get winded from just taking a shower these days. Whoever thought bed rest was easy has another thing coming. Here I was six and a half months pregnant, on strict bed rest, and I couldn't use my arms. I was ready to toss in the towel. It had me concerned that if I couldn't handle this, how would I ever make it through labor and delivery....

Well thankfully, that week is behind me and my arms are back to normal, but for a few days I didn't have any hope in mind. I was starting to get really depressed and overwhelmed. I didn't imagine my pregnancy every turning out to be the way it is now. I firmly believe everything happens for a reason, but was this really necessary. Did I really deserve to have no use of my arms? Seriously... what did that week get me? Your guess is as good as mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment