Friday, April 30, 2010

7 months and diabetes testing, oh my!

I'm officially 7 months pregnant!! I'm so happy to be able to write that. I feel strong and I am staying positive that I'll be able to bring Lily to full term. So proud of myself! :)

At my 28 week check up my doctor told me I'd be having some blood work done. Its almost the same types of tests they screen you for in the beginning of your pregnancy, including a glucose test to screen for gestational diabetes. Every pregnant women has to get screened for this. I've heard of some horror stories, mostly about women getting sick from drinking so much sugar all at once. I wasn't looking forward to the testing at all. I'm not a big fan of very sweet things.

When we got to my appointment, they gave me this orange bottle and told me I had to drink the whole thing in five minutes, the nurse had to watch me drink it down. It really wasn't that bad, if you have a choice pick the orange bottle. It tasted like the Hi-C orange drink you get from McDonald's, but just a little sweeter. I really didn't have a hard time drinking it and it was a little smaller then a normal size water bottle. After I drank it, the nurses moved me to an empty room. I had to wait an hour, and since I've been on bed rest they had me lay down for my hour. Other people can go run an errand and come back. But for me I needed to lay down and stay put.

After the hour wait, they took my blood. I wasn't feeling sick at all from the drink and I was much relieved. I did bring a water bottle with me, but was told I couldn't eat or drink anything during that hour wait. After my blood work the doctor came by and checked me out. She measured my baby bump and made sure all my vitals were doing good. She told me it would be about a week before I would get the results. She told me that baby Lily was doing wonderful and that she was so relieved to see me happy and healthy at 28 weeks.

Since we were staying at the hotel for the weekend, we picked up some lunch and headed back to the hotel. I felt good about the doctors visit and had positive thoughts that my glucose results would be just fine. Only time will tell...

1 comment:

  1. Oh god I hated the GD test. That drink was awful. I remember feeling very nauseaous afterwards and very tired. I remember Saoirse kicking like mad from the sugar high.

    Wow not long now....7 months :) You should be proud of yourself. Every week or even every day after 19 weeks was such a relief for me, especially to know everything was ok. It was then that I thought, YES we can do this!!!

    ReplyDelete